Saturday, February 23, 2008

Another Day at the Temple

It always seems like things come up when you have a date to go to the temple. On Thursday, we were ready to go with the time set, friends to watch the kids etc. On Thursday night we weren't quite sure. Friday morning rolls around and we decided that we would just go and let things fall where they may.

Tami met me at the temple because I drove down from work. Friday is usually casual day at work so I had to change into my church clothes in the parking lot of the temple. We went in and just had a great time and we were so glad that we had decided to just make the decision and go. We committed to go monthly at the beginning of the year and we didn't want to let that goal slip by.

That's when it all started. We decided to go around on the toll road because the traffic would be a lot lighter and time wise, it is usually pretty close to going straight up on the freeway. Tami called me on my cell phone and told me that her suburban only had a little bit of gas left. If any of you take that road, you know that once you pass the airport heading north, there isn't much out there. She ran out of gas right in the middle of nowhere. It was a good thing that I was just ahead of her so I pulled over and picked her up. We drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a gas station. By the way if anyone is looking for a good business opportunity, we know of a great location to put in a quick stop. There were all these houses and business with no gas station.

We finally find a station and they have one little 2 gallon can left so we buy it, fill it and head back to her car. As we were getting close to the car, we saw that there was a state trooper behind it just sitting there with his lights on. We couldn't actually get right back to the car so we had to walk across this big ditch and up the other side. Tami was in heals of course. When we get up there, the trooper asks, "who's car is this?" I pointed to Tami and said, "It's hers." One of us had to get home to get the kids so I had stay out of it. We had put our old plates on our car that hadn't been registered yet so he assumed it had been stolen. When he told me that he was getting ready to tow the car, I joked that I wouldn't put any gas in it if they were just going to tow it. He didn't have a sense of humor at that time.

I left Tami there so that I could get the kids and make it home in time for the older boys to make it home from school. As I was pulling into the driveway, the garage door was open. I figured the boys must have gotten home early. I got inside and started calling for the boys but they weren't there. Tami had left the garage door open with our house wide open for four hours while we were gone.

Going to the temple is an amazing thing. Not one time did either of really get upset about any of it. Thanks to some great friends that watched our kids an extra hour, we didn't have to worry about them either. I held back on so many sarcastic remarks that were just right at the end of my tongue. My mouth is actually sore this morning because I held so many of them back and I'm not used to that. Oh I did say one thing. Tami assumed that when you run out of gas, you just couldn't go anywhere but she thought the car would just stay running. I couldn't help but make a few comments on that one. The old saying, "All's well that ends well", definitely applies because we went to the store and bought Tami some of that girl scout cookie icecream. We ended up having a great day and now we know that when the gas guage says empty, it really means empty.

4 comments:

tamiz said...

To my defense...the "miles to empty" guage said 33 miles. 5 minutes later NOTHING it was dead, empty. 33 would definately have gotten me to Costco. Caleb also forgot to mention that the reason the unregistered plates were on my car. HE put them on even though I asked him not to. We are very lucky that our car was still there by the time we found a gas station and got back. He is right about holding his tongue. I was very impressed with how calm he was in a stressful/unneccesary situation. Thanks for not freaking out!

KrisJ said...

Well you guys are total role models for what could happen but now that its happened to you and its your story I think the rest of us are safe! I think its great that you have made it 2 months in a row and Im glad you made it home safe and with a story to tell.

Tirsa said...

I have almost run out of gas on the toll road so many times! I agree about it being a great business opportunity.

JoHanna said...

I am very impressed. Mike would never hold back he just lets it fly when stuff like this happens to me. way to go caleb