Saturday, February 16, 2008

Animal Rights Day

Today was animal rights day at our house. We were heading back to the house after shopping and we passed some cows out in a field. Silas told us that he liked those cows. I told him that I liked to eat those cows. Silas is our biggest steak eater and he told me that we don't eat cows. They are nice and we don't need to eat them. He also told us, "If we eat cows, that means that they be dieded." Then I had to inform him that the seat he was sitting on was made from a cow and he happened to be wearing leather sandles too. He wasn't convinced of anything. I thought it was over and I was making a type of Argentine steak for dinner and Silas didn't want to eat it. Elias tried to tell him that it was King Soopers meat and not cow meat. We will see how long he holds out because he loves sausage, bacon, ribs, steak, chicken and any other type of meat. Then he told us that we don't eat horses. He said we only ride them because they like that. I responded and told him that horses don't like to be ridden. We argued for a few minutes and then I asked him what the horses would do if they didn't like to be ridden. He said, "They would buck the cowboys off." I think it is time to take Silas to a farm so that he can see where milk, cheese, butter, lamb chops, steaks, pork and chicken come from.

2 comments:

alison said...

it almost sounds like you've been enjoying shattering all his sweet little illusions about animal life in america.

Carli said...

This is hilarious. Both sides of my family come from ranchers. I remember the time when our family went to a rodeo and my little brother was amazed at the calf roping. He ran to my dad and asked him, "dad, is that the fastest pig you've ever seen?" My dad simply turned to my mom and said, "we are going to the ranch this summer."