Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fishing



Silas was very concerned last week because I had never taken him fishing. He didn't want to go to his primary class so I told him that I would take him fishing if he went to the class. This week I had to pay up.

It was really sad that the boys didn't even have fishing poles. We had to buy poles and worms and then we headed out. The first day we didn't catch anything. I didn't really care because my end of the bargain was complete. I didn't say that I would take him catching. I really don't like fishing but I enjoy catching. Somehow though, he guilted me in to taking them fishing again on Saturday.

We got a lot of bites but one of the funniest was when Elias had a fish on his line. He must watch too many fishing shows on TV. He was pulling as hard as he could and then he would let the pole down and real as fast as he could. While he was doing this, he was backing up the bank. You would have thought he was trying to real in a world record sword fish. Of course we didn't make fun of him for that one at all.

Silas was reeling his line in and after all the false alarms of "Dad, I think I have a fish", I wasn't hurrying over to see what he had "caught". When I got there, he really did have a fish on his line. I guess he never quite realized what was going to happen once the fish was reeled in. We tried to get a picture of him with his fish. He was going to hold the line but as soon as the fish flopped, he screamed and ran away. We couldn't get him close to the fish to even take a picture so Isaac had to hold the fish steady for the picture. He also held the fish as we tried to get the swallowed hook out. The poor fish didn't make it. If there are any expert fisherman out there, "would it have been better to just cut the line and leave the hook in?"

No comments: