Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Driving Distance" is Relative





Five years ago when we moved to Denver from Houston Caleb was so excited to be within "driving distance" of Idaho where both our parents live. I bought into that line for the first trip. After sixteen hours of driving I soon realized I'd been duped! So, since we've lived here we've driven to ID 1-2 times a year. I HATE road trips. I don't care about the scenery. I get soars on my arms from reaching into the back of the car to "handle" the kids. Quick stop food makes me feel cruddy. We often drive at night to ease the burden on the children. I'm the first to admit that Caleb usually drives 14 of the 16 hours but when it's my turn to relieve him it's usually in the middle of the night. I get double vision while driving at night. Yes, on several occasions I've convinced Caleb to let us fly. Once I flew with Silas while he drove the boys up. The trip is torture. I am so HAPPY to say that our move back to Houston officially puts us OUT of driving distance!!! From here on out we're frequent flyers!

7 comments:

alison said...

I can completely understand

Jill said...

But you will be driving distance to us! So we expect a visit to Lafayette :)

Jill said...

But seriously . . .driving stinks!

Tirsa said...

The worst is constantly having to turn around and help the kids with food, DVD's, etc. I say the women should drive and have the men handle the children and then they'd be more apt to become flyers. But, congratulations on moving outside of driving distance.

Haley L said...

It doesn't help that the drive between here and Idaho, for the most part, is about as exciting as watching corn grow. An occasional antelope does not qualify as excitement in my book.

alison said...

I agree w/Tirsa--the whole turning around thing...our kids are FINALLY getting to the age when they've got long enough arms to help. But I can't say how many times I've pulled out the muscles in my arms and shoulders from trying to reach back there.

The Toy Guru said...

I hear you sista!! We just returned from there the day you left to Texas. Idaho is a lame drive, I don't care what the husbands say. You can only act excited about so many antelopes and cows before you just stop looking.