Tuesday, January 22, 2008

West Virginia Drivers

We have a shop in Buckhannon, West Virginia. There really isn't an airport close to the shop so I fly into Pittsburgh and then drive down to Buckhannon. I rented a car and headed out. I usually like to take the shortest quickest route from point A to point B but I was able to take a scenic route this time and Pennsylvania and West Virginia have some really neat small towns. I opted not to rent the GPS this time because I already knew where to go. I guess I remembered it different than last time. Good thing I had a map or else I would have been lost. I don't understand how people can be lost when they have a map and they know where they are. Tami calls it lost but I call it a short cut.

I was driving down the freeway once I was able to get back to it, and every time I would pass a car or truck, they would honk and flash their lights. After about the fifth time, I realized they weren't just welcoming me to their state. Usually, I get waved at by the one fingered person for a welcome when I am driving in Wyoming. I know there are a lot of oil field accidents where people lose their fingers but you wouldn't think they would all lose everything except their middle finger. Getting back to the story, the low air pressure light had been on since I left the airport so I assumed it was a flat tire. I pulled into the nearest quick stop and walked around the car to see what was wrong. I couldn't see anything so I got back in to take off. When I sat down, I could see that my lights weren't showing up on the quick stop wall. The dash lights were on but my headlights were not. Did anyone know that they still made cars that you have to turn the headlights on manually? Apparently, I had been driving down the freeway in complete darkness without my headlights on. The really sad part about this story is that I have done this before in Houston with another rental car. It's a good thing they have automatic windows because it was snowing and raining the entire way down and when the lot person gave me the car, the drivers side window was down!!!

4 comments:

KrisJ said...

I love that you get to see so many one fingered drivers. And next time you get a rental you will remember to check the lights and the head light fluid!! hehehehe

Elizabeth said...

too funny! And you thought you were driving safe! :)

Erica said...

I have to agree. There is nothing more frustrating than getting a rental car that doesn't have the nice features that you are accustomed to.

Erica said...

By the way- Love the new title with the pink flower background!!