Saturday, November 17, 2007

Up Up and Away (We All Fall Down)!

Flying with four young children is NOT something I'd recommend. However, it sure beats driving 16 hours with four children. SOOOOOO... We get to the airport with all the kids and luggage and head to the check in counter. Luckily Caleb flies a lot and qualifies for the "special" line where there is no wait. Caleb is carrying two car seats, a carry on bag, computer bag, diaper bag and pulling a large suitcase. Elias is pulling a large and small suitcase. Isaac is pulling a medium suitcase. I'm holding Jude and various baby accessories and Silas is getting in everone's way. We walk up to the line and the boys are having difficulty turning the corner with the suitcases... So somehow I FREAKING TRIP over one of my kids (it all happened so fast I'm not sure if it was Isaac or Silas). So imagine the Mom with too many kids tripping while HOLDING her 2 month old baby. Yes there were lots of concerned shouts... you would not believe how fast two airport employees were at my side concerned with my well being. Caleb's at the counter pretending not to know me (he said he didn't see it happen). Yes, the baby's fine. It's the type of fall where you do everything you can to save the baby and sacrifice your body instead (oh yes and I pulled down one of those line divider things as well). My knees will be sporting some fancy bruises by tomorrow I'm sure. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. I'm very glad to know that I'll never see those people again. It could NOT have been more embarrassing! The sad thing is I was planning on people making rude comments about the number of children I have (as they seem to feel the need to do as soon as you have 3). I was prepared with the perfect comeback, compliments of Kris Jeffers ("Oh these kids? They're my sister's who just passed away and we're taking them in" - perfect right???? Don't you feel dumb for asking after that one?). But instead I trip over one of my too many kids (so many I can't tell you exactly which one it was). Pathetic!!

9 comments:

alison said...

Ouch, that sounds painful! Wish I'd had a few choice come-backs to give out on our last trip. I hope your knee heals quickly. Have a great week.

Brandie Lyon said...

Hey, I feel your pain! I have been in that situation many times. Luckily I have never fallen. That IS embarassing!!

KrisJ said...

Oh my goodness I am so sorry that I am laughing so hard right now! That sucks really bad and Im so glad that you and the baby are ok thought! I knew it would be an eventful story but I wasnt planning on a trip over children story. Im glad you guys made it and I cant wait until you get back, you saw what happens when your not around I get way to bored and have to paint! LOL Im going to go reread that now for some more chuckling hehehe O Im a bad friend...

Kris said...

I can just picture it so vividly in my mind. You KNOW that Caleb knew what was going on...ha ha.

Erica said...

OK, so my favorite line was- Caleb standing at the counter "pretending" not to know who you were. I could only think that my husband might do the same thing. Isn't it fun going to the airport with children? I only have 2 and I hate all the "stuff" you have to take with you. Have a good trip home, uh?

Elizabeth said...

OH Tami! That is too sad, and yet funny! Thanks for sharing! You haven't had the best of luck lately! ...ya know...the 2 liter bottle incident! Hope your trip and turkey are UNEVENTFUL...and fun! See you when you get back!

Elizabeth said...

OH Tami! That is too sad, and yet funny! Thanks for sharing! You haven't had the best of luck lately! ...ya know...the 2 liter bottle incident! Hope your trip and turkey are UNEVENTFUL...and fun! See you when you get back!

Carli said...

Oh boy! You totally earned your "early boarder" status on the plane. I love the comeback Kris gave you -- classic! Thanks for sharing your funny and yet super sad story!

Tirsa said...

oh, my gosh...I am laughing so hard that Blaine just came in from the other room to find out what happened!