Monday, November 5, 2007

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!

Yes, I did something really DUMB!! Elias needed an empty 2 liter soda bottle for his science lab this week but it had to have the little plastic sealing ring removed. I tried all the safe methods to remove it first... prying with my fingers and then with a fork. That didn't work so I decided it would be a good idea to pry a steak knife under it and try to pop it off. WELL, the knife slipped off and stabbed me in the hand. I said a few choice words and began panicking when I saw all the blood and the gaping wound. Caleb tried to close it up for me with butterflies, then medical tape and then a fancy band aid... none of which worked. So I called my friend who is a real Doctor (sorry Caleb) and he was nice enough to stitch it for me. Looking back I'm really angry at myself for my poor knife safety skills (or lack there of). Later that morning Silas wanted a piece of cheese. He got the block out of the fridge like he normally does and brought it to me so I could cut him a piece...then he looked at my hand and said "Oh Mom, you can't cut my cheese, you'll sharp yourself with the knife, I'll wait 'til Dad gets home". It was a little sad but I'm still scared of the knives and don't want to "sharp" myself again!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Don't we all make stupid mistakes? We are all human. How about that little Silas, he was willing to wait for dad rather than letting you get hurt.

Laurie P. said...

I love it... Sharp yourself... classic little kid assesment. Five Boys!! I'm still amazed! Laurie

alison said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you 'sharped' yourself. The sad thing about this is that your 3 year old doesn't trust you with a knife. shouldn't it be the other way around? Hope it heals fast.