Sunday, April 26, 2009

When It Rains It Pours!


Yes, we did get a lot of rain last week while the rest of Colorado got pummeled with snow but that's not what the title of this post is referring to. It's actually about 2 things.
1. No blog posts for 5 and a half weeks and then 2 in one day! and...
2. The Sex talk. Elias will be having a "maturation presentation" in his 5th grade class next week so we decided it was time to give him ALL the details before he heard it somewhere else. We borrowed a book that came highly recommended and used it as a guideline (not everything was accurate to the LDS beliefs but it is Christian based) and then branched off from there where necessary. Elias did pretty good and only tried to change the subject a couple of times. Our goal in doing this is to give him the knowledge so he'll know the truth about sex and not believe all the dumb stuff kids will say and to open the lines of communication with him so he can feel comfortable coming to us with anything. I'm sad and excited at the same time to see him growing up. It seems like the parenting decisions we make with him are getting more and more important. I'm a worrier though and Caleb isn't so we balance each other out pretty well. We're about to begin a whole new ballgame...Middle School! Wish us luck.

6 comments:

Johnna Jayne said...

Yikes!!! I see those wild Jr. High kids at work so I can definitely say they are timing that class at the appropriate age. . . But still, Yikes!

vicki said...

Great job with this, guys! Sophie will be in the 3rd grade next fall and I know this "talk" will be here before I know it. It totally makes me queasy!

Brad and Marissa said...

Wow! That's one talk I am not looking forward to giving the boys!

Tirsa said...

Can you believe you are old enough to have kids that are old enough to really know about this stuff?

Haley L said...

We had to have the same "talk" with Cooper a few months ago after he came home with a question. Gulp! I am so not ready for all of this!!!!

Maggie said...

Maybe Caleb had it differently, but our parents never gave me a sex talk. I didn't figure out what it was until we watched a video in 7th grade health class...how sheltered was I? Don't even ask how old I was when I found out Santa wasn't real. :-)