Saturday, February 13, 2010

Honor Choir

Elias' choir teacher strongly encouraged Elias to try out for the CISD Intermediate School Honor Choir.  Last Saturday was the big day.  I was amazed with how STRICT the auditions were.  There were over 300 kids trying out for 50 spots.  Once you arrived you were given your number and audition time slot.  The kids were not allowed to use any electronics once they walked in the door so there could be no more practicing.  After they made the no electronics announcement there were some people singing in groups to practice. Shortly after that they announced that there could be NO singing in the holding room either.  They had 3 different tryout rooms with 4 judges in each.  There were not a lot of boys trying out so I thought that would give Elias a leg up until they explained that the judges would be behind a black curtain and they wouldn't see any of the auditioners.  There went that theory.  So the kids were lined up in their order and taken to their assigned room.  When it was their turn they walked into the room and took their place at the mark and set up their music.  They were not allowed to speak so the judges would never hear their speaking voices.  An assistant would ask the singer if they were ready and if they were they nodded yes.  Once the music began there was no starting it over.  The kids were given a score and the top 50 scorers made the choir.  It was a crazy process but fun to see.  So, why all the details??? With no MALE advantage at all Elias earned a spot in the choir!!! He's singing ALL the time and it drives me crazy when it's during a meal, movie or conversation but he's really a good singer.  Last week at church I noticed he was singing the alto part to the hymns and I was so jealous because I NEED to sing alto as well but don't know how to read/hear music.  Guess I can follow along with him.  When Caleb and I were first married we joined the Church choir.  I was pretty sure the altos on either side of me were totally annoyed that I was there always on the verge of throwing them off pitch!  So here's to Elias getting Caleb's musical skills!!

8 comments:

KrisJ said...

Thats awesome! He has always been a good little singer!!

Jill said...

Way to go Elias!!! Next stop, American Idol :)

sheena said...

Congratulations to Elias! I wish I could sing.

Haley L said...

OK, we were waiting to find a video at the end of this post. Congrats, E! I think I am most in awe of things that I really stink at. We will continue to wait for a video. :)

kmk said...

Wow that audition sounds crazy!!! That is so awesome that he made it!! Has he ever had any singing lessons at all, or it's just natural talent all the way? I bet you feel proud, I sure would.

Johnna Jayne said...

I like the curtain idea. Seems like it would be less stressful for the kids. That is pretty stink'n awesome he made the top 50 out of 300! He MUST be good!

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome Elias! Great Job!

LaDawn Lingard said...

The curtain is the norm for real auditions. Good Job Elias!!