Monday, November 23, 2009

Hog Hunt

I'm sure everyone already saw the pictures on Facebook so I won't include the blurry pictures I took with my cell phone.  Elias had a fun hunt and was able to shoot a 175 pound boar.  Now that I gave away the ending, I will fill in the details. 

We have been out hunting several times and Elias hasn't been able to shoot anything.  He loves hunting and I could see that he was starting to lose interest.  We were hunting at a friends place (who is the definition of Southern hospitality) and we weren't able to take a shot at anything.  They took us over to a ranch that does hog hunts.  The ranch owner loaded us up on his Kawasaki Mule and gave us a great tour of the ranch.  Elias absolutely loved it.  The owner was telling us stories the whole time. 

He has one place that is about 40 acres and I think he had about 20 hogs on it.  I could have those numbers switched around.  Anyway, he called it the Honey Hole.  It was the place that everyone went when they werent able to get a hog during their hunt. 

Before we went in, the ranch owner told Elias that there was one boar in there that might charge.  He had a pretty mean disposition.  Then he told him that if the hog charged, get behind a tree and wait for the hog to chose a side and then jump to the opposite side of the tree.  I asked Elias after the hunt if he was scared.  He told me that he was totally freaked out. 

We spotted a bunch of hogs down below us and walked down to where we were within 30-40 yards of them.  There was a nice little hog that was standing right in front and I thought that would be a perfect one for him to shoot.  He was further down the hill with the rancher and they were picking out hogs.  The rancher crouched down and put his hand on the tree with his arm straight out so that Elias could rest the gun on his arm.  Elias was shaking like crazy.  I kept thinking he was going to shoot but he didn't.  The pigs started moving and a great big boar stepped right out in front of all the rest of them.  You pay by the pound and I kept saying to myself, "don't shoot that one, find a little one."  About that time the rifle goes off and the biggest one drops.

He was really excited and pretty nervous too.  He hasn't stopped talking about it since it happened.  The rancher was extremely good with him and I would recommend Langley Ranch to anyone that wants to go hog hunting.  They have a great website at http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/.  Elias' picture should be there soon. 



(I, Tami, added the photos for those of you who aren't facebookers.)

3 comments:

Johnna Jayne said...

That is priceless! You should send everyone some hog jerky for Christmas.

KrisJ said...

He is such a little stud!!

Unknown said...

That is amazing! I don't know anyone else that age that has gone hog hunting before! Cool!