Sunday, October 25, 2009

Renaissance Festival


I thought Tami was going to do a post on the Renaissance Festival but I guess she hasn't had time.  It was the first time I had ever been to one.  Tami used to go to the one in Moscow, Idaho and it was just a bunch of hippies selling arts and crap but on a very small scale.  We have been hearing how great the Ren festival is here and that everyone should go because it is a lot of fun.



 Let's start out with people watching.  It was the absolute best people watching ever.  I can't even start to explain how weird people are at this place.  I got tired of hearing My Lady, My Lord, etc.  I can't believe that grown ups actually speak that way without laughing.  Oh yeah, and every plus sized lady with boobs had them squishing out of the top of whatever they were wearing.  If that wasn't sexy enough, the hairy arm pits topped it off.  And if that wasn't enough, the smell of the costumes had to get you going. 


The kids wanted to go on rides but every one of them was home made and had some type of leather straps holding them together.  I'm sure the quality control was outstanding but they were just trying to make it look dangerous.  Needless to say, they did not go on any rides.



Everyone out there was trying to sell something.  I felt like I was walking in downtown Denver with all the beggars.  The only difference is that we got to pay $25 per adult ticket to have them do it.  One poor guy tried to sell us some pickles.  It was hilarious, Tami actually said, "Oh gross" (out loud) before she could catch herself.  The guy was extremely dirty and smelled really bad (part of the act I'm told) and Tami just couldn't hold it in.



A lot of people had a funny smell to them.  The incense didn't quite cover the smell that they had.  I couldn't quite place my finger on the smell.  One time when I went to work with a detective friend of mine, one of the ladies took me to a special locked up closest and showed me these green balls of grass or something like that.  It smelled very similar to that.  I'm sure it was just the local plants out there.

We stayed for about two hours.  We had to eat a smoked turkey leg and an elephant ear.  To get those we had to listen to some guy say, "Thank thee me lady" to Tami.  Tami took some pictures of several people and we will post them.  Be forewarned, you aren't seeing the half of it with the pictures.  You must go and experience it for yourself.



3 comments:

KrisJ said...

OMG!! I cant believe you guys went hopefully CALEB you got your Renaissance fill for quite awhile!! LOVE the pics.. they really go all out.. can you imagine being married to someone into that GROSS!

Elizabeth said...

We too have been to a Ren. festival, and just reading this Caleb brought back the gross memories and smells! Yuck! It truly is an experience! The people watching is the best though...if you can cover the boys eyes..haha

Anna Winn and Family said...

I am shocked you guys went. That's 100% Oregonian right there. I can smell them through the pictures. I've been in several plays/operas where I have to dress up like one of the weirdos in the picture - I don't know why they think it's cool. Most of their outfits are made out of wool or leather. Not the most comfy thing in the world. And I would NEVER eat anything sold there. You guys are hard core.