Friday, March 20, 2009

A+ for Isaac!

Our family has a fire escape plan in place. We try to discuss it about twice a year to keep it fresh in the kids' minds. Isaac's recently been doing fire safety things for Scouts as well. I'm not sure why but for some reason at 2am this morning our smoke alarms started blaring through the whole house. Caleb's out of town so it was all on me to do the checking (btw, somehow in all our fire escape plans I have visions of Caleb getting all the boys safely out their windows, it never occurred to me that it's likely he'd be OUT OF TOWN!). So I run through the house looking for signs of a fire and find none so I go to check on the boys. Elias and Silas...sound asleep, unaffected. When I went to check on the other two boys I found Isaac's butt up in the air leaning over Jude's crib rail to get him out of bed and save him. I was so impressed that at 2 in the morning he had the presence of mind to follow our plan. I told him it was ok it was just a false alarm so he hopped back in bed. Curious, I asked what he was going to do next (wondering if he was going to open his fire escape ladder and climb out while hanging onto the baby). He said he was going to check the door to see if it was hot! YAY! I am so grateful to have Isaac. He's such a good helper and ALWAYS looks out for Jude. Caleb and I are going to take him out to dinner tonight to reward him. Our Hero! On a side note, the alarms went off again at 5am. Any idea what would set all the alarms in the house off for about a minute or two?

7 comments:

Haley L said...

First of all, I'm impressed. Second, why on earth do smoke alarms only have malfunctions at 2 a.m.? I just got done reading my sister-in-law's blog and same story! Hope you can catch a nap today.

Unknown said...

Last year when our fire alarms went off, my kids ran downstairs looking for the fire... we still have a few more lessons to teach about fire safety apparently! Maybe Issac can teach them? :) What a great kid!

Johnna Jayne said...

Awe! Now that is one awesome kid. That has happened with one of our detector's once. Chris ripped it off the ceiling and tore it apart and threw it in a drawer somewhere. I guess I should bug him to fix that and put it back up.

Tirsa said...

A+ to the parents who have a fire escape plan in place and go over it with the kids. We'll need to work on that!

Jolayne said...

Isaac is so impressive. Those oldest ones can be kind of bossy at times, but when it comes to follow through they win hands down.

KrisJ said...

5 weeks woman! POST POST POST!!!

The Toy Guru said...

What a wonderful and responsible big bro. Good for you for taking him to dinner. It's hard to always recognize them for their individual accomplishments. We often tend to focus on the oldest and the youngest and the middle ones get left out.