Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Isaac's Year End Ceremony

Today was the third grade Awards Ceremony and man was it ever BORING!  I had Jude and Silas with me and right at the beginning Jude snuck over to a garbage can to spit out his gum and a parent jumped right into his seat while he was up.  That ruined my chances of keeping the boys off of each other. ARGH, last time though because Silas will be in all day Kindergarten next fall!  Oh yeah, back to Isaac's day...The Principal announced the awards for every student in the third grade...wait it went more like, 1. Say Child's name.  2. Everyone clap.  3. Say awards earned. 4. Everyone clap 5. Place metals around child's neck. 6. Everyone clap....for EVERY SINGLE CHILD! With around 80 3rd graders it was over an hour long. Yippee!  Did I mention that the Principal, who is a very nice woman, has a voice that sounds like she's cooing at a baby?  Anyway, back to Isaac. He earned a lot of awards and without having him home from school yet I'm not sure I'll remember them all but I'll give it a shot 1. Completion of 3rd Grade (yes this was an award and the only one that some of the kids received). 2. Perfect Attendance All Year Long. 3.  All A's Honor Roll All Year Long. 4. Citizenship Award. 5. Principal's Award. 6. Science Award  &  7. Student Council (which he wrote and delivered a speech for and was elected by his classmates.)  To say that Isaac is thriving in his new school here in Texas is an understatement.  He's adjusted so well and we're extremely proud of him.  He's made a good group of friends which was a process for him that he took seriously.  The first probably SIX months we lived here I'd ask him everyday if he was making friends and who he was playing with and what he did at recess.  I was sad that he had to leave his good friends in CO and really hoping he was finding new ones.  We went through several boys that started out his friends and then he 1. Heard them swearing and dumped them. 2. Saw their conduct sheet with any color on it besides greens (given for good behaviour daily) and dumped them. 3.Thought the only thing they ever did at home was play video games and dumped them.  It's been fun to watch his screening process as he found his way to some good kids with the same values and morals as his.  At first, when all the "dumping" was going on I was a little worried there wouldn't be anyone left but that's not the case.  BTW, he didn't formerly tell these boys they didn't make the cut.  He would just come home from school and tell me the unfortunate things he found out about them and then he'd move on.  What a trooper.  I never had to move and make new friends my entire school career so my heart hurt for him in this process.  I have to say he came out on top.  YAY Isaac. Now, being the worrier that I am I was afraid his buddies might move on and forget about him while we spend the summer in ID.  Luckily, Miguel will be spending a month in El Paso with his Grandma and Austin leaves only a few days after us for Minnesota (his Dad plays for the Vikings and they'll return when the season is over).  Connor will be here all summer but I think their friendship will survive the distance (lol). I took a couple of pictures with my phone (my good camera is packed and ready to go to ID) so they're not great. Especially the one of  Isaac and Austin.  Though it's taken/taking a while we are beginning to feel more and more at home in Texas.

6 comments:

KrisJ said...

YEAH ISAAC!! He is a super star!! So glad things are turning around and Texas is feeling more like home! But now you will leave and have a new home for a couple months!

Unknown said...

I always thought Isaac was a great kid! Congrats on all his metals! Sorry you had to sit though all that... We experienced something similar here.

Elizabeth said...

What a LONG ceremony! Isaac is such a great kid! Congrats to him! He has done great this year! I am so happy to hear that Isaac has gotten some awesome friends in Texas too. Matthew still hasn't gotten over the fact that he can't see him everyday! Even though they don't call each other, Matthew still talks about his BF Isaac. He even wrote some essays in school about him and their friendship. His heart is sad they can't be together. I hope Isaac and Matthew can still be buddies and keep in touch!Idaho isn't that far right? :)

Elizabeth said...

Sorry to post that long comment! :) Matthew just saw all of Isaac's awards and said "Awesome Job Isaac!"

LaDawn Lingard said...

awesome kid!

Nannette said...

Great job...next year have Jude stay at my house during the lengthy awards! Glad he finally found some friends that made the cut!